Saturday, September 19, 2009

What was I thinking?

So you know how I said I was going to take some banana bread to a friend. Well, Allie wanted to go for a walk; so we combined those activities. I grabbed my spare key (so I didn't have to take the bulky key chain), locked up the house and garage, and we were off. We delivered the bread and then stayed and talked for a while. When we left I debated if we had time to walk to the school, but even from her house we were a good 20-25 minutes away. I only had 15 before school let out. Allie and I hurried home cutting across the field (which Allie thought was kind of fun and kinda scary in the stroller) to make better time. I got home at 3:05 (school's out at 3:10) and reached for my key. I had my van key. Very convenient for driving, but not so convenient for getting into the garage or house.
I didn't get too worried, but called a few neighbors using my cell phone. Nobody was home. I called the school and asked them to tell Kayla to go with a friend who normally rides her bike. I was hopeful her friend would be patient enough with Kayla walking. I told the school I was coming but I was a good 35-40 minutes away. Nobody was home cuz it was too close to school letting out and all the good parents had already left to pick up their kids.
I threw Allie back in the stroller and off we went. We got a couple of blocks making really good time when a friend was outside in her yard. She offered us a ride, and since timing was important here we accepted. We got to the school and found Kayla in the truck with her friend who's parents had decided to pick her up. She wasn't at all worried she was just happy to get to ride with Kaybree.
I had called Nate at 3:05 when I discovered the problem and told him he needed to hurry home. He hurried as fast as he could, and he made it home just after-wait for it-6:00. Thankfully the neighbors let the girls use their potty. Several nice neighbors, now home, asked if we wanted to come play, but first we did Kayla's reading on our porch. She had gotten her book order that day at school and for once I actually ordered a few books. It turned out to be an extremely pleasant afternoon.
I have since gotten friends cell phone numbers added to my cell phone. I have a key that I am going to take to a neighbor's house. The sad thing is I actually had the copy made more than a month ago after the friend was locked out of her house. I've just never handed it to her. OOOPS! I'm also thinking we should really get one of those programmable codes for the garage door so no matter who is home we can get in. Nate just informed me we have one of those, he just needs to hook it up. I think maybe that would be a good plan for today. I really don't like not being on time picking up my child from school.
So the moral of my story-Pay more attention when grabbing the spare key.

1 comment:

Darla K said...

Weren't you glad for a nice weather day.