We have gotten really sick of paying for gluten free bread. It is almost $6 for a loaf the size of banana bread. My dad has gotten really good at making his own bread, when he has time, but Kayla has never liked the taste of it. The recipe he uses actually tastes a lot like regular bread. She is just not used to it. She only remembers
Charlotte's bread.
Since Kayla has been doing so much better eating, I figured she could now make the change. I knew the only way I would make bread on a regular basis was with a
breadmaker. I was going to wait and get it for Christmas, but then I figured that would just be a waste of my $6 a week.
So today I made my first loaf. I used the same recipe as Dad uses, but he was unreachable for questions today. I was so nervous. Normally, I just figure oh well, if I ruin a dish, we can always have cold cereal-(honestly I don't think we ever have...yet-knock on wood). But there was a lot riding on this.
Isn't it gorgeous!

It came right out of the pan. No problems.

Oh, I got a mini
breadmaker since I'm not making for the whole family. Kayla and I might share, if the others really want some, but there will be absolutely no gluten in this machine.

I was able to get 12 slices from our little loaf. I discovered I
definitely need a better knife for cutting warm bread, but this will be perfect for the two of us.

Kayla wanted to be the first to take a bite. I put the bread in about 9:30 so that it would be done just in time for lunch. (Sadly I admit I have her trained. She paused in this position for me to take her picture before she actually bit the
sandwich.)

Success! I think she was a little surprised. Every few minutes while eating, she would say, "Wow! This is really good!"
Yay!!!
1 comment:
That bread looks YUMMY! It looks like a sweet bread. Cute little loaf. How sad to pay so much for an allergy. We feel ya' though. That soy milk we get for Deacon and lydia is a bit painful to buy week after week.
Post a Comment