Monday, August 24, 2009

1st Day of 1st Grade

Makayla started first grade today. She was a little nervous but mostly just excited. Last night she didn't think she'd be able to sleep, but fortunately the sandman paid an early visit that left her nice and refreshed this morning. Kayla was so happy to get to wear her new school dress. I made her a new hairbow to match it. It was a happy surprise for her this morning.

We've made a tradition of having a father's blessing the night before school. Daddy gave Kayla her blessing last night, and then Allie wanted one too. We were going to wait until next week before preschool started, but I think a week early is fine. Then we read A Pocket Full of Kisses. It's about a raccoon who's mom gives him a kissing hand so he'll never forget how much she loves him. In the morning I give Kayla a kiss on her hand and draw a set of lips so she won't forget. It's a fun tradition, and I'm anxious to get to start it with Allie this year too.

Kayla posing in her new dress.
All ready for school.
Good-bye!
We had a little rain this morning; so Kayla insisted on wearing her jacket. Allie was so sad she couldn't stay, but Kayla was thrilled to be back to school. Kayla's teacher, Mrs. Mower seems to be nice, and her mother-in-law has celiac disease. It's nice to have a teacher that is familiar at least somewhat with the disease. Mrs. Mower is also a lover of all things chocolate and told the class she'll be sharing chocolate quite frequently with them. Kayla LOVES her already. Unfortunately none of her good friends (girls) are in her class (there are 4 first grades), but her boyfriend from last year is... I may have to remind her about the no dating til she's 16 rule.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

You have adorable adorable girls Melissa! I can't believe she is a BIG third grader! What a cutie!!!